Senin, 09 Juli 2018

Using Coordinating Conjunction

Definition of  coordinating conjunction is a word that connects words, phrases, or sentences. When a coordinating conjunction joins together two sentences, the resulting sentence is called a compound sentence. There are seven coordinating conjunctions: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so. To remember all seven, you might want to learn one of this acronyms for example is :  FANBOYS

Use a coordinating conjunction when you want to give equal emphasis to two main clauses. The pattern for coordination looks like this:
Main Clause + , + Coordinating Conjunction + Main Clause.

Coordinating conjunctions connect words, phrase, and clauses. Look at the examples that follow:
  1. The bowl of squid eyeball stew is hot and delicious.
  2. The squid eyeball stew is so thick that you can eat it with a fork or spoon.
  3. Rocky, my orange tomcat, loves having his head scratched but hates getting his claws trimmed.
  4. Rocky terrorizes the poodles next door yet adores the German shepherd across the street.
  5. Rocky refuses to eat dry cat food, nor will he touch a saucer of squid eyeball stew.
  6. I hate to waste a single drop of squid eyeball stew, for it is expensive and time-consuming to make.
  7. Even though I added cream to the squid eyeball stew, Rocky ignored his serving, so I got a spoon and ate it myself. 

Exercises 
1.  I am going to go to the river _____ lake tomorrow morning.
a. or
b. but
c. and
d. so

2. I am hungry _____ I eat.
a. so
b. but
c. and
d. or

3. You have to study hard _____ you cannot pass the examination.
a. or
b. so
c. and
d. but

4.  I lent my friend $10 yesterday  _____ her wallet was lost
a. or
b. but
c. for
d. so

5. Do you like pizza _____ hamburger?
a. or
b. but
c. so
d. and

6. I am thirsty _____ I don’t want to eat.
a. or
b. so
c. but
d. and

7. Bobby really hates cold water,  _____ he attends swimming lesson twice a week in the morning .
a. or
b. but
c. and
d. so

8. My employer refused to accept my resignation, ____ did he raise my salary.
a. but
b. nor
c. so
d. yet 

9. Can you take the pen on the table _____ bring it to me?
a. or
b. but
c. so
d. and

10. I have dieted _____ my body is still fat.
a. but
b. or
c. so
d. and


Answer Key  :

1. a
2. a
3. a
4. c
5. a
6. c
7. d
8. b
9. d
10. a








1 komentar:

  1. Beautiful Blog. Thanks to Admin for Sharing this knowledge sharing Session. I Bookmarked your Link and Shared in Facebook. Keep Sharing good Articles. I like your idea of learning Coordinating conjunction. Thanks for sharing these information. Wish you successful .

    BalasHapus